Latitude 51 Deg 29.1 Min N
Longitude 2 Deg 48 Min W
Height of tower 11 meters
Elevation 11 meters
Character Fl (2) W 10s
Range 15 M
This is a minor light on the coast of the Upper Bristol Channel near the town of Portishead. It was built as an aid to navigation of shipping in and out of the River Avon. The light was converted to electric and automated in 1941 and further modernised in 2000. It is now controlled form Harwich.
Early in 2011 the light was discontinued. The Blacknore Lighthouse Trust was formed and the ownership of the lighthouse was transferred to this trust in January 2012. The trust is a community group of enthusiasts who want to make sure the lighthouse is preserved for the future!
Sadly the lens was removed from the tower. But there is a hope that it may be returned!
August 2012 - the great news is that the lens/optic is back at the lighthouse! Thank you to the Blacknore Lighthouse Trust and Trinity House for making this possible!
Back to Lighthouse Page
Return to Home Page